Tuesday, September 1, 2009

No Longer Battling Hurricanes, Now Just Fighting Pro-Tax Governments

The good news is that the hurricane caused the OECD to pull the plug on its Global Tax Forum in Cabo. The bad news is that the Paris-based bureaucracy packed all the delegates onto Mexican government jets and moved the conference to Mexico City.

Not surprisingly, I was not offered a ride, which left me in the unenviable position of scrambling to get a ticket from Cabo to Mexico City - a task that was complicated by an airport full of people looking to escape the hurricane. I vaguely felt like I was an extra in the John Candy-Steve Martin 1987 comedy, Planes, Trains, and Automobiles, but eventually I shoe-horned myself onto a flight.

Today, I'll be spending my time offering assistance and advice to the low-tax jurisdictions being persecuted by the OECD. For those interested in learning more, this three-page memo has all the details.

No comments:

Post a Comment