Friday, March 19, 2010

Greetings from the Liberty Forum in New Hampshire

It is not often that I feel insufficiently libertarian, but being at the annual conference of the Free State Project is one of those instances. These people take freedom seriously. Reminds me of being in graduate school at George Mason University.

The most interesting factoid I've learned so far is that the federal government has the power to reject beer labels. A guy at the conference who owns a microbrewery told me that one of his labels was censored because it featured an American flag. I have no idea (and he has no idea) why the bureaucrats thought that was a bad idea, but he did get approval when he re-submitted the label after replacing the 50 stars on the flag with the communist hammer-and-sickle emblem. I guess the paper-pushers in Washington didn't see the irony.

Here's another example that accurately captures the stupidity of government. He submitted a label for a beer that he wanted to call "Liquid Wisdom." This was rejected because the bureaucrats believed that it made an unsubstantiated health claim. Isn't it nice to know that the federal government is protecting us from thinking that a beer would makes us wiser or smarter? I know I'll sleep better tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment