Sunday, March 7, 2010

Stories from the French Resistance

Statists often claim that high taxes have no impact on behavior. Too bad Harry Reid and Nancy Pelosi weren't with me today. I needed to get a taxi from the Nice Airport to the railway station. I asked the cabbie whether he took credit cards and he visibly recoiled and said I needed cash.

During the drive, I asked him why he doesn't take credit cards. He said none of the taxi drivers take credit cards. He said something to the effect that they would have to charge 10 euro more to make up for the taxes. It didn't require much reading between the lines to understand that my taxi fare was not going to be reported to the greedy French tax authorities.

Viva le resistance! (I'm probably spelling that wrong and/or using bad grammar, and/or missing some accents, but it's the spirit that counts)

No comments:

Post a Comment